Monday, November 06, 2006

Two AV guys and blank blue screens. Never a good sign at the beginning of lecture.

We reached our last full day of dermatology lectures today. After working through most of the rashes and blisters it was scarring and burns. These were our first lectures given by plastic surgeons rather than dermatologists. We don't get many lectures from surgeons, which is a shame because they tend to have the best photos. Which brings me back to my fascination with gory pictures. I know it sounds insensitive but the grosser pictures definitely keep my attention. Perhaps I should take up some extreme sport to get my kicks instead.

The most extreme sport I am presently doing is curling. I know most people think of curling as more of a senior's past time than an extreme sport but those people have not seen me on a pebbled sheet of ice. With my level of grace and balance stepping on to frozen water with teflon shoes is definitely enough to get the heart pumping. One of the best things my parents ever did for me was judo lessons. In judo they spend a long time teaching you how to fall without hurting yourself. It is probably the only reason I have, as yet, not received any sort of traumatic brain injury.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curling should be moderately safe, although you don't want do drop a rock on your toes. Whatever you do, don't play frisbee! It's just too dangerous.

med neophyte said...

I am sure you are right. I will probably have a much different reaction to the real thing. But at present gore is the only thing that keeps me awake in class and I feel just a little guilty about that.

I don't play frisbee. But that is because my hand-eye coordination is even less apparent than my balance.