Thursday, March 08, 2007

I spent the morning looking at hearts in the anatomy lab. I was again struck by the paradoxes of the human body. It is so beautiful and intricate and at the same time so crude and mechanical. It is the same thing with disease. I have seen patients with metastatic cancer throughout their body. All the organs invaded, slowly shutting down but still hanging on, sustaining life. And then the next person will have a clot travel to one particular sensitive spot or have a plaque in their heart rupture and they die suddenly, without any warning. I guess that explains why medicine can be so fascinating and gross at the same time.

5 comments:

Tall Medstudent said...

I find stenosis really gross, for some reason...

Calavera said...

A lovely post, because I think exactly the same thing.

Marysienka said...

I agree, completely!

(could you plz take my blog off your list? thanks ;) )

med neophyte said...

Sure thing. Its done.

The Angry Medic said...

Also explains why life is so fragile, which is exactly what makes it so beautiful, no?

(Or the other way around. Um. I'm not so sure anymore. Blame the brain damage.)

Beautiful post, still.