Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Two days away from the next big test so, of course, I was looking for something to distract me. It was sunny for a few minutes this afternoon between the hail and the rain so I went for a walk. Springtime (which always comes with a few false starts around here) smells like wet clay and melting dog sh*t in my neighborhood. There is construction on just about every block so I zigzagged my way downtown past all the blockades. I guess I am getting a little nostalgic. The chances are good that we will have to move soon (most likely right around when I am going on elective to Nepal; great timing). After living here for 8 years I am going to miss the park and the restaurants and the people that I am used to seeing. It is funny that, as a teenager, I was so excited to move away from my small hometown to 'the big city' so that I wouldn't be constantly surrounded by the same people. After more than an decade in the 'big city' I find it comforting that I keep running into all the same people. I see the the people that I know from folk fest volunteering at concerts, neighbors at the coffee shop and people from school downtown. I even know who the regular panhandlers and prostitutes are and who is new to town. I guess it is home.

5 comments:

Tall Medstudent said...

Exam time is always the best time to come up with new interests. :)

Living in town is certainly a lot more interesting than the suburbs...

I didn't realize you were a folkie... :)

med neophyte said...

This will be my fourth year chopping vegetables for salads. Such is the glamor of show business.

Tall Medstudent said...

I wanted to see Stephen Fearing at last year's folk fest, but I think his last show was the night after I got back from Africa, iirc...

The Angry Medic said...

Spring comes coughing slowly in like a battered old jalopy over there too eh? Over here we had a few sunny days, then all of a sudden it started snowing in 45-second bursts here, even though the bloomin' daffs were out. We should all pipe down and start listening to that Al Gore fella, methinks.

med neophyte said...

With the chinooks (warm dry winds that originate over the ocean and come over the mountains to warm up the prairies) it is not unusual to have a run of days at 15-20 degrees Celsius and with in a day move to minus 20, snow, plagues of frogs. It is pretty hard to judge trends here.