Sunday, August 27, 2006

The curriculum at this university, if you don't know, is systems based. After a breeze through fever, sore throat and otitis media we are well into the new combined blood and gastrointestinal unit. This is the result of a reshuffling of the curriculum that took a couple smaller individual systems and combined them into bigger courses. Which means right now we, the first year class, is taking GI before the second years have. This is the only explanation I can find for a couple of incomprehensible lectures last week. There must be a couple of lecturers that are used to giving their spiel to students already 16 months into med school, not three weeks. Whatever the reason, the result was a lecture that might as well have been in Spanish for all I understood. It was probably a good thing because, for the first time, I am honestly scared, always a good motivator for getting your butt in gear for studying well ahead of the tests. With the longer courses we don't have one that counts for anything until well into October. I have a feeling my usual cramming won't be appropriate.

3 comments:

Tall Medstudent said...

Blood was a great course last year; I really enjoyed it. The PoM stuff was just filler...

med neophyte said...

You are the second one to say that. In fact I was told that GI and blood are the two best courses. With nothing to compare to I believe it. I am really enjoying the content. The structure, or lack there of, sometimes gets to me, however.

Tall Medstudent said...

Yeah, I liked the focus of the old systems...