Sunday, March 02, 2008

New place, new challenges
I made it to Kingston (Ontario, not the sunshine and rum one). I start my first clerkship elective tomorrow. Aside from being generally assigned to Internal Medicine and a mission to the Undergrad medical office to finish paperwork tomorrow morning, I have no idea what I am doing. I don't just mean that there is so much to know that I am assured to look like an idiot, though that is true too. I mean I don't know where I am going, or who I am working with, or what I am doing. In-patient, out-patient, what clinics. It's a huge mystery. Hopefully it is not too much of a disaster and I will have some time to let you know how it is going.

On another note, it is always interesting to see what differences you notice when you travel. I went on a short hike to the grocery store this evening to get some supplies for tomorrow. Two things that struck me right off the bat:

1. the roads here are completely bare of snow and the sidewalks are a mess. It is obvious that it has snowed here a fair amount and, without friendly Alberta chinooks, it has stuck around. While the streets seem to have been plowed by a magic truck that even scoops out the potholes, there is slush and ice and treachery on every side walk. Maybe there are no old ladies to break their hips here, or may be the students that live in the houses just don't care.

2. milk costs twice as much. I am sure there is some fascinating history about farm legislation and price control but geeze, x 2 seems a bit steep.

There is lots of cool things here too, cute old houses, good restaurants, blah, blah; but that is what I have noticed in my 3 hours stay so far.

No comments: