Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Returning to the grind

I am in the middle of my last week of leave. In 4 short days I return to clerkship.

Just about everyone asks me if I am looking forward to it or dreading it. Of course I am dreading leaving my son for 8-12 hours per day. It is not like I am leaving him on a doorstep or sending him down the river in a reed basket. He will be at home with his very capable dad. But I won't be there to see him learn every new thing or check his stool.

I am also dreading trying to pump 3 times a day while at the hospital. I am not sure if there is anywhere half decent in the hospital to do this. And, as a clerk, I have no control over my time. It will be an interesting challenge.

But I am looking forward to getting back to medicine. To having adult conversations. To learning new things myself.

Of course another pic of the little lad; in a onesie from his aunt.

3 comments:

Me said...

I feel for you on leaving Harold. Our men will now have another thing to identify with - stay at home dad experience!
Hopefully it all goes well.

Dragonfly said...

The photo is gorgeous. What area of the hospital are you going back into?

med neophyte said...

My first two weeks back will be inpatient neurology. I am looking forward to it - neurology is what I would like to do when I grow up, but I am a little worried about making a good impression while I am neurotically worrying about my boy. After that I am into my surgery rotation. Not looking forward to that, but at least we have two weeks off for Christmas in the middle.